On June 26, Summerland Credit Union were awarded the Gold Partner Accreditation in the NSW Government’s Sustainability Advantage Program, becoming the first financial institution in NSW to achieve this feat.
The program is an accreditation scheme run by the NSW Government Office of Environment and Heritage, which recognises a business’s position towards Environmental and Social Sustainability and is judged on the following criteria:
- Active participation in the program
- Demonstrated leadership and commitment to sustainability
- Established planning and management systems for environmental practice, including processes for continuous improvement
- Engagement: Promoting sustainability practices internally among staff, and externally with suppliers, customers and the wider industry
- Achievements: Demonstrated environmental outcomes in the last 12 months
“We are delighted to have been recognised by the NSW Government for our sustainable and environmental practices. The Gold Partner award is a mark of our staff’s ongoing commitment to one of our key values,” said outgoing Summerland CEO, Margot Sweeny.
For Summerland to have achieved the Gold Partner status, it has taken over 10 years; having started the process in December 2008, where we were awarded Bronze Partner status in 2011 and Silver in 2013. Our commitment to sustainability was further illustrated by achieving the NSW Business Chamber’s Excellence in Sustainability in 2014.
Sustainability is a core value of Summerland and by continuing to be a leader amongst financial institutions in this sector, it sets a bench mark for the industry.
With our Eco Loans, Eco Donations and annual Sustainability Month, our green products and practices are at the heart of everything we do. It is an example of a financial institution truly living and applying their values.