White Ribbon Day is a day to come together to start a conversation about practical solutions to end men’s violence against women and children in our communities.
Once again we held our well-loved cupcake morning tea fundraiser. We joined with customers across our branches, igniting conversations about White Ribbon initiatives as well as the Summerland Vulnerable Persons framework, created to support customers in need. Over $570 was donated by customers and this was matched by Summerland, bringing our total rasied to over $1,100 to support White Ribbon Australia.
Funds raised will support vital work to end men’s violence against women. Our donators’ generosity helps develop and extend prevention work which includes programs in schools, workplaces and the broader community along with initiatives to engage men, advocacy, community support and training.
Statistics on domestic violence, emotional abuse and murder demonstrate the prevalence and severity of violence against women in Australia:
- On average, one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner.
- 1 in 4 women have experienced emotional abuse by a current or former partner since the age of 15.
- 1 in 5 women have experienced sexual violence since the age of 15.
- 85% of Australian women have been sexually harassed.
- Almost 40% of women continued to experience violence from their partner while temporarily separated.
- 1 in 6 women have experienced stalking since the age of 15.
Let’s Be the Change and do what we can to contribute to a nation free of all forms of gendered violence, harassment, and disrespect.
Data source: White Ribbon Australia website.