From left to right: Ivy, adopted by our Kingscliff branch; Keogh, adopted by our Evans Head branch; and Kookie, adopted by our Lismore branch.
Who are Friends of the Koala?
Friends of the Koala are an inspiring organisation that have been doing great work for the local koala population for almost 40 years. They are the only organisation in the world to focus on all aspects of koala conservation – amazing right? This includes:
- The rescue, rehabilitation, and release of our furry friends.
- Protecting existing and planting new koala habitats.
- Koala vaccinations and health research.
- Education and advocacy in our community.
Friends of the Koala operate right here in the Northern Rivers, covering an area of over 10,000 square kilometres. They tend to hundreds of sick, injured, and orphaned koalas every year and have contributed more than 812,000 native plants and trees across the region since their beginning. Talk about making a difference!
From left to right: Magnus, adopted by our Anywhere branch; Waratah, adopted by our Ballina branch; and Ember, adopted by our Bangalow branch.
Why should we invest in koala conservation?
According to The Wilderness Society, Australia sadly has one of the highest rates of deforestation in the world. Deforestation contributes heavily to global warming, land degeneration, reduced air quality and the loss of habitat of native species, including our friends the koalas. By making efforts to preserve this iconic Australian animal, not only can we help koalas avoid extinction, but we can also rebuild habitats that will in turn:
- Repopulate native forests and attract diverse fauna.
- Trap excess carbon dioxide in the trees, improving air quality and reducing temperatures.
- Reduce the risk of landslides and erosion.
From left to right: Pala, adopted by our Elanora (The Pines) branch; a gorgeous wild koala, adopted by our Nimbin branch; and Charlotte, adopted by our Head Office.
Want to get involved?
There are many ways to contribute to the conservation of koalas and their habitat in our magnificent region:
- Adopt the ultimate fur baby through Friends of the Koala – click here to check out the details. You can also adopt a tree for our koala friends.
- Volunteer at a tree planting day – we love to facilitate these! Follow us @summerlandbank to stay in the know about upcoming dates.
- Make a donation, either in your own name, or on someone’s behalf – the perfect waste-free gift.
- Be an advocate in your community – write to your council, attend meetings, and speak out in defence of habitat.
- Report a sighting to Friends of the Koala or WIRES Animal Rescue. Check out our tips for what to do if you spot an injured koala here.
From left to right: Gulliver, adopted by our Casino branch; Temika, adopted by our Kyogle branch; and Dobby, adopted by our Grafton branch.
When we come together as a community to give back, we really can make a difference. And when we focus our efforts with organisations like Friends of the Koala, we are benefiting not only the koalas but all our animals, our planet and us – and that’s a win!
Follow along on our social channels to join in on the conversation.
Follow Summerland Bank: